The Journal

The book is clutched in her hands, her fingers wrapped around it, the leather tong holding it closed between her second and third fingers. How she found it, hidden away, is beyond me, but there it is. In the pale darkness, she’s giving me a curious, almost amusing, look, as though she knows what is written on the pages. Lifting an eyebrow, her lips curve into a small smile.
“What is this?” she asks me, her low, lilting voice soft.
I remain silent, still surprised that she found the book, hoping she will find the answer in my silence. Moonlight filters in through the single window of our bedroom, silhouetting her from behind. I sigh, still staring at the book in her hands, as I sit down in the rocking chair next to the armoire.
Leaning forward, her fingers fiddling with the leather thong wrapped around the book, she rests her elbows on her knees. Her eyes never leave my face, searching for an answer that isn’t there. With her face hidden in shadow, I can’t read her expression well; it gives her an advantage I am not so fortunate to have.
“What kind of secrets does this hold, I wonder?” she presses.
“Elliot…” I say quietly. I don’t want to say the words, but I don’t think she’ll stop if I remain silent. “Ell, you know you don’t want to read that garbage.”
“Mac, I don’t even know what’s in here. Do you?” she questions as her fingers trace the Celtic knot at the bottom corner of the book.
“I don’t even want to know. As far as I know, Elliot, it was here when we came,” I respond.
Shrugging, she gets up and tosses the book to me. It lands heavy on my lap. I give a sigh of relief as she walks to the other side of the room, my fingers tracing the cover. The leather thong, wrapped around the book twice, has turquois beads tied at the end. It’s something Elliot will never know about, something I never want to tell her. This is more than just a book; it’s a keepsake, a journal full of all my travels. But she doesn’t need to know all the details of what happened. That’s between me and my past. It has nothing to do with her.

Comments

  1. Yay!
    yoo RITE!!
    Gotta lotta
    exceedingly
    exquisite,
    extraordinary
    extravaganza
    exponential
    exactly.
    Wannum?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

today's sunset!!!

Choices