Walking down the driveway, aiming for my sanctuary by the fig tree on the north end of the cieling on the vineyard, carrying my notebook, I see him sitting under the green branches, the ocean hovering over the cement wall, about a foot over his head would be, like a dark version of the heavens. His notebook is open on his knees, writing something down. I stop at the bottom of the drive and look at him. He looks up at me, blinks, then smiles at me, a smile that I know well. The scene flickers, changes before my eyes, and I am thrown back to a time long ago. I am on the south end of the building now, looking over the ocean a moment, taking a breath, and turning back to the party. Lights hang from tree branches, from the balcony. Women are dressed in their fanciest evening wear, men are dressed in black ties and tuxes. He comes towards me to say hello.... Joseph. We dance the night away before the ball ends. We've known each other, but we are, and have been, forbidden to see each other. I've grown to love him, and he loves me. I wonder how he had come into our property without getting caught, but the though leaves my mind as fast as it comes. The end of the ball approaches and he pulls me close to whisper, "I love you" in my ear, his warm breath fanning over my face.
When the last of the guests leave, my parents and I walk back up to our home, only several meters from where our party was held. My parents kiss me goodnight when we enter the house and I walk to my wing - the norht wing. I sit at the small living room table, pick up a feather pen, and write on paper:
My dearest Joseph, Take me to a place where we can be alone, somewhere we can love and be together without being forbidden. All my love, Renee.
The falshback flickers and changes. I hear a tapping on my closed window. I go to the window to open it, and I see that Joseph is throwing pebbles towards my room. My parents are out, on the town, shopping. I smile to Joseph, close the window and run through the house. I leave the house, run down the drive and run into Joseph's open arms. I lead him down a path where we can be hidden from the house if my parents return home. He pulls me to him again and says, "I love you." We talk for hours, but he has to part as the sun changes sides of the sky, and sits between the middle of the sky and the ocean.
The flashback changes again. I am at the wall, the north end of the building again, looking down at Joseph. I tell him that my parents are trying to get me to look for someone else. The love we have for each other is forbidden, but we still try to see each other, to find a way to love each other. He tells me we can make it through this, through this unbearably hard time. He takes his leave. My love is leaving me and I don't know when I am going to see him again.

Weeks later, wearing a simple summer dress, I am walking barefoot through the wet sand, waves from the ocean washing over my feet, the bottom of my dress all wet from the salty water. I haven't seen my love since the night he told me we could make it through this hardship. I feel someone looking at me. I turn and see Joseph walking towards me. I take two steps back into the water, stepping into ankle deep water, wetting my dress even more, the hem flowing with the motion of the ocean. I gaze at him. He smiles at me, smiles the smile that I will remember forever. I slowly walk out of the water and I start to Joseph. I tell him how alone I have felt, even with all the people I see, all the guests we have at my house. I tell him I've kept waiting for him, even though he hasn't come, that my hope has been fading the longer I've waited for him. I ask if I am dreaming but before I get all my question, he kneels down on one knee and says, "Marry me, Renee. I will be with you forever. I talked long and hard with your father and he is letting us to be together. I love you; I always have and always will." He gets up and hugs me. I nod, tears of happiness running down my face. "Now go. You have to start getting ready," he says, his eyes twinkling.
The scene flickers again, and I am back to the present. He must have gone through his own flashback, one through the eyes of my love. His smile is exactly like Joseph's.
"Renee?" he asks.
I nod and quietly whisper, "Joe?"

He gets up and we walk towards each other. Joe wraps his arms around me and we kiss. Our lives are intwined, invused, together... now and forever.

Comments

  1. well, RENEE. firstly, josephs my father. secondly. notebooks dont write. and idk wat a falschback is (did i spell that right????). in other words, edit & revise. cuz really. psh.
    ok. i'm done teasing now. loves ya!
    ~cookie. (yes. im delicious.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

today's sunset!!!

Choices