scary story (beginning)

The dark was falling faster than I had thought. I thought that I'd be okay. But it was dark. I couldn't be out. I could barely see. If I wanted to sleep, I'd need to get myself inside, and soon. Sooner than that.

The house came out of nowhere, it seemed, and maybe it did. I couldn't know. It was foggy out, dark... I couldn't see more than five feet in front of my face. One moment it wasn't there, and the next, it was looming in front of me.

I scrambled up the steps, almost tripping as I went - the stairs were steep -  up to the porch. The door was open, and I didn't think anything of it. After all, the house came out of nowhere. So, why would the door be closed to those who'd need it?

I walked down the hall, adjusting my bag on my shoulders, pulling my jacket tighter around me. There was a slight chill in the air. Had I closed the door behind me? I couldn't be sure...

The hallway split. I went right. Down the hall, I found a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom.

I headed into the bed room. There was a bed, a window and a nightstand with a lamp. The bed had a purple cover on it, my favorite shade. I dropped my bag down at the foot of the bed and walked into the kitchen, still wondering whether I'd closed the door behind me on my way in...

I walked into the kitchen and headed right for the refridgerator. I nearly expected it to be empty. Weirdly enought, I found it brimming with food; pizza, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, milk, Coke... all my favorite foods, every drink I enjoyed.

I was starting to wonder if this house actually existed, and if it did, whether whoever ran this place was incredibly intuitive about who would show up here.

I made for a cabinet and foud a clean plate. Okay, now it was starting to get weird, because why would an empty house be full of food and dishes?

Anyhow, I piled up some macaroni and cheese onto a plate and stuck it into the microwave. I walked back and forth, waiting for my food to be ready. I was getting impatient, it had been that morning when I'd last eaten.

The microwave beeped and I yanked my plate from it. I sat myself down and went at the macaroni. I devulged myself. I finally relaxed as I ate my dinner. I wanted to enjoy my delicious, hot meal.

Minutes later, I was finished. I piled my dishes in the sink and went to the bathroom. Now that I'd filled myself, I wanted to fully relax. But using the toilet was obligatory now.

After I finished my business, I went to the bedroom. Yanking my pajamas on, I relaxed completely for the first time since night had fallen.

I pulled back the covers of the bed and laid down, pulling the dceep blue sheets up and over me, letting them fall over me. I turned out th bedside lamp and laid down....

... Maybe if I hadn't turned the light out, things would have turned out differently. But I did turn out the light and things went the way they did...

I was falling asleep when the first scream pierced the night. I shot into a sitting position; looking around the bedroom, I saw nothing. Not a damn thing.

I got up and walked to the door. I listened a moment and heard nothing. I walked down the hall, checking the bathroom and kitchen as I went. I didn't see anything, even with all the lights on.

I walked down the hall I hadn't gone down earlier, turning on lights as I went. This side of the house looked suspiciously like the side I was staying on... Strangely similar. Almost like individuality wasn't a priority here. But I still didn't find anything. I figured that it must have been my imagination. My overactive imagination.

I turned out the lights as I went, my head full of questions that I couldn't answer. What had the scream been? Who had screamed? Was it real or had I imagined it, like I thought?

I was about to turn out the light in the kitchen when I heard it. Another shriek, this one close, coming from somewhere down the hall. I hadn't turned out the hallway light yet. I turned my head, with my body following it. I wanted my questions answered and hoped that this might be the time they were... But I saw nothing. Nothing at all.

I turned again and that was when I saw it. I wasn't sure what it was to begin with.

Something was glowing at the end of the hall, shimmering. It grew, expanded and shifted... until there was a figure of... what? A person? No way... Was it really?

My feet started to move before I could stop them. I don't know, I guess I was more curious that scared, like I was supposed to be.... at first, anyhow. But then the thing (strangely human-looking, may I add) moved. An arm lifted, a finger pointing. It was quiet for a moment; then whatever it was let out a scream and then disappeared. A weird clunk sounded from somewhere above me. I ducked, almost expecting something to fall on me.

I got up when nothing did and looked around. I didn't see a thing. Then again, the lights were dim. I wasn't sure what I'd seen. Was it a ghost? A spirit? My imagination? And were the lights always that dim? Or had they gotten dim when the ghost disappeared?  What had the ghost been screaming at? How would a ghost scream, to begin with?

I walked slowly down the hall and positioned myself right where I'd seen the ghost. I looked down the hall. What had it seen? I didn't see a thing. There wasn't much to see, anyhow, but the end of the hall.

The end of the hall? Was that what made the ghost scream? Funny, but I didn't see anything when I'd gone down there, but I wasn't really looking at the walls or anything. Maybe there was something down there that I'd missed...

I walked down there, albeit slowly. If something were to jump out f the shadows to eat me, I'd want my chance to defend myself. Wait... eat me? Nothing but nothing has ever eaten a human, as far as I knew.

I continued to creep down the hall. I turned on the light at the other end of the hall, but still saw nothing. So, what had the ghost seen? Was there anything to be seen? Not that I could tell.

I left the light on and walked back to my side of the house. If ghosts and spirits wanted to play, they could - on the other side of the house. They needed to stop bothering me and let me sleep.

I sat at the kitchen table. Rain had started to fall, and I was waching it through the window. It was coming down in buckets, fast and hard. It had been quiet for awhile, so the first thunderclap had made me jump. I looked around quietly, looking for something. But I was alone... for the moment. I haven't heard or seen anything since the screaming ghost. I padded back to the bedroom, hoping the storm would lull me to sleep.

As I walked down the hall, I noticed it. The hall seemed longer. I didn't seem to be getting closer to the bedroom, no matter how fast I was walking.

I paused for a moment. I turned around to look down the hall. I was halfway between the kitchen and the bedroom. It seemed like I should have made it to the bedroom by now.

It was then that I noticed it; the hall seemed to warp and stretch. Subtly, though. If I hadn't stopped and looked, I would not have noticed it. I would have walked on for a long time before noticing.

I looked back down the hall just as something caught my eye. There was something on the wall. No... something seemed to appear on the wall. Writing, it looked like. The message was being written as I watched. I waited, frozen in my spot. It seemed like someone on the other side of the wall was etching the message, knowing that I was here, watching the message being written on the wall.

Beware of the House
Take care that you don't get Lost
Beware of the House
There are Things here Untold
Get out before They Unfold

Okay, so.... what? Beware of the House? Seriously? It wasn't the house that I was afraid of. Unless this was saying that that it was the house causing all of this. The screaming ghost. This message that just appeared. Okay... Take care that you don't get Lost. So, that being said, I couldn't get lost. I couldn't be somewhere in this house that I wasn't familiar with. There are Things here Untold... There were things here that maybe people haven't seen? Maybe because this house appears and disappears? The house appeared out of nowhere for me. Get out before They Unfold... Well, that was a warning. I needed to get out. But I also needed to sleep. I needed the comfort of a warm bed and a roof over my head for the night. This message, though, was warning me otherwise. So, what was I supposed to do? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

today's sunset!!!

Choices