taking a deep breath, i tilt my head toward the sun. it warms my face as i lean back against the warm ground. it is early evening and surprisingly, the beach is relatively empty. the waves crash against the shore, making its own beat. someone sits down next to me, my towel shifting under the person's weight. i open my eyes slowly and i glance over. he is there. gosh, i haven't seen him in years. he as grown six inches at least and filled out some. he smiles at me. i realize that my jaw seems so far down it's almost in the sand. he laughs and i close my mouth. my eyes close as his hand touches my cheek. his hand is soft against my skin. his hand stays there for another moment, then he gently pulls his hand away. i open my eyes again, finally letting out a sigh. his brown eyes make me melt. like a few years ago, we have a quiet understanding of each other.
"i'm sorry," he says.
"why?" i ask
"i haven't been true to myself. i still like you, but i have been trying to forget about you; i haven't seen you since we were fourteen."
i look at him as he takes a breath to start again. i bring up my hand and put a finger to his lips to quiet him. he looks at me, confused.
"i love you too."
he smiles and breathes out. he leans and kisses me. we fall over on the sand and start laughing. that's how it was supposed to be three years ago; instead, it took us three years to figure out we were supposed to be together. we are, finally, in each others lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

today's sunset!!!

Choices